12 Reasons I Use Technology in my Classroom

This was going to be my top ten list of reasons, but then I came up with two more. (Maybe that makes me an overachiever?) There are many excellent posts and articles out there on why teachers do (or should) use technology in their classrooms. I've read many, but I wanted to write down my own reasons, and I thought I'd record them here:


  1. Because you can play with it. When was the last time you played with a textbook? I know some kids do, because I've had to remove inappropriate drawings from some I've had handed back at the end of the semester, but playing with technology can lead to learning, while drawing genitalia in a textbook really does not!
  2. Because the wealth of second language resources available online can't be beat. As a second language teacher, this reason is important enough that you really don't need any others.
  3. Because many kids already use it. If you want to engage them on the level of their interests, you've got to go there.
  4. Because many kids don't use it and are scared of it or don't have access to it at home. Technology is not a fad, and it's not going away. I might be the only person to open that door for a student, and it's an opportunity I don't want to miss.
  5. Because it's especially engaging for boys. As the mother of two boys, I know the value of keeping them engaged in school. The number of boys who continue with language classes at the senior level tends to drop sharply as they get towards the senior years, and if there's something I can do to keep them interested, I'll do it because I want as many kids as possible to get that second language education.
  6. Because it can be alienating for girls. It was for me when I first encountered it, and as the aunt of three lovely nieces, the last thing I want for them (or any other girl) is to be alienated by technology in school.
  7. Because I like it, and teaching from your strength is always a good idea.
  8. Because it's challenging. Technology is dynamic and always developing, and it's one of the ways I hope to foster a love for lifelong learning in my students. Being open to change is not easy, but I believe it's going to be an essential life skill for this generation.
  9. Because it lends itself beautifully to critical thinking and inquiry learning. You have to design your projects carefully  in order to ensure that students can't Google the answers, but it's well worth the effort.
  10. Because it offers choice and flexibility. There are many tools that are available for students to use, and giving them the choice of what to use, as well as the tools to evaluate which one might be a good option, is a wonderful way of engaging them in the process.
  11. Because there are many free tools available. Let's face it - in this day and age of fiscal restraint, free is a good price!
  12.  Because if I choose the right tools, the technology  I use in my classroom will have applications in other classes my students take, or other areas of their lives. Getting them to see what they do in my classroom as important and useful is exciting!
You have read this article Technology with the title 12 Reasons I Use Technology in my Classroom. You can bookmark this page URL http://vintagemuse5.blogspot.com/2012/07/12-reasons-i-use-technology-in-my.html. Thanks!

No comment for "12 Reasons I Use Technology in my Classroom"

Post a Comment